There is no specific document but the following should be mentioned:
The term iron and steel industry relates to the techniques used to obtain cast iron and steel as well as to the industry implementing these techniques.
It involves a large variety of industries, from integrated sites producing several million tons of steel with dedicated unloading platforms, coking plant, sinter plant, blast furnaces, converters, ladle treatment stations, continuous casting, hot rolling mills and finishing tools, to electric steelworks.
It includes two major categories of finished products:
There are two major types of iron and steel installations:
French production of raw steel is concentrated on three plants situated in Dunkerque, Fos and Florange.
60% of the French production of raw steel comes from the three large-scale integrated steelworks. The twenty six electric steelworks using recycled scrap iron make up the remaining 40% of this production.
The iron and steel industry uses 20% of the energy consumed in the French manufacturing industry, with 9.5 million tons of oil equivalent in 1999. Iron and steel plants mostly consume solid mineral combustibles (64%) with coal and coke derived from hard coal. They also consume electricity (28%) and natural gas (7%). They consume 84% of the coal used in the manufacturing industry and 11% of the electricity.
This activity is characterised by some of the highest pollutant emissions in France for many parameters. Over half of the raw materials treated end up, at the end of the process, as gas emissions, waste or solid by-products.
Risks of accident:
Can come under the Seveso directive for the use of toxic substances, gas manufacturing or storage.
Other types of impact:
Prevention and protection measures:
There is no specific action for this domain, although it is targeted by several cross-sectional actions by virtue of the size and emissions of the installations.
In 2007, this domain will be affected by the following national actions:
European Office on IPPCs with the Bref document on best available techniques for the manufacturing of iron and steel published in 12/2001
INERIS: the search engine provides free access to publications
RIPRIM public interest network for the prevention of major risks
ARIA list of technological and industrial accidents
Europa website of the European commission on the environment
Aida for the regulation of the iron and steel industry and metallurgy: production of non-ferrous metals (aluminium etc.)